The Business Case for Revamping Your Amazon SalesCamouflage might be your friend in the jungle, but not in an online marketplace. Just like each animal in the forest adapts to its own unique conditions — with wings for flight or claws and teeth as an apex predator — so, too, do businesses need to adapt to the marketplace with their own strengths and strategies. Business owners and sales managers need to decide where and how to focus their time and efforts, and chances are that Amazon either is currently — or could be — a big part of that focus. Whether your brand is taking flight, hunting competition, or just looking to graze at a steady pace, Amazon has opportunities for you to find a comfortable sales niche.
This article makes that case.
Why bother with Amazon?Let’s say you are a laggard — nothing wrong with that at face value. Sure, it’s 2019, but you still haven’t been convinced that Amazon is worthwhile for YOUR business. After all, sales are steady, your loyal customers come to you directly, and let’s say you’re in a comfortable niche. So why bother? The case starts with the realities of the modern customer and the expectations they have for doing business not just with you — but with anyone.
- According to Retail Dive, more customers start their search process and product discovery on Amazon. It surpassed Google from 2015-2018, leaping to 54% of search volume. That number is likely still growing.
- That product discovery thrives on product reviews; according to Dimensional Research, 90% of consumers online believe their purchasing choices are influenced by product reviews.
- Nearly half (47%) of the dollars spent in online shopping in 2019 will be spent with Amazon, according to eMarketer.
- ⅓ of Americans subscribe to Amazon Prime — approximately 110 million users. If Amazon Prime were its own country, it would be in the top 15 largest in the world, bigger than the Philippines and Egypt.
So what?Still not convinced that you need Amazon consulting services? Maybe you know your customers better than anyone, and the e-commerce frontier still doesn’t draw your fascination the way it has with the rest of the world. But one thing is probably true: your competitors have caught on. In fact, the data shows that there are 3,000 new sellers joining Amazon every day. For some, that type of crowd is a deterrent. Making an impact seems impossible. But refusing to join is the surest way to miss out.
How we can help.Anyone can google “product research” and search for guides about do’s and don’ts of product promotion. There are YouTube videos for self-help, too. It just takes a lot of time, a lot of trial-and-error, and perhaps even a lot of confusion on your end. Conversely, you have the option to team up with partners with over 35 years of experience selling products online with an emphasis on Amazon consulting services. And here is some free advice we can share if you are even remotely on the fence about getting into the Amazon game:
- Amazon is here to stay. There’s almost no universe in which you should avoid having a presence here.
- Amazon is not a lottery. That means two things. First, just joining and posting your products won’t automatically skyrocket your sales to shatter your previous numbers. Second, the surest way to see your sales improve is to constantly monitor your tactics within a strategic framework, and optimize regularly to improve on success and move past each failure.